[Bro-Dev] Configuration framework syntax proposal

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Wed Sep 20 18:30:32 PDT 2017

On 20 Sep 2017, at 20:19, Johanna Amann wrote:

> technically - yes. Though I am not quite sure that I like it :).

I also don't like it.  I think with this proposal there is some
recognition that our community has separate and distinct parts (and some
overlap between them).  The people that program Bro scripts and the
people that use Bro scripts.  I feel like there are benefits to getting
a chance to separate the notion of configuration away from the notion of
programming.

Invariably, there will be variable names chosen within software that
will be short and convenient or long and explanatory but may not end up
being just right if someone simply wants to configure a behavior.
There's also the problem of single level namespaces which will limit the
expressiveness and depth that you could possibly give through
configuration keys.

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com