[Bro-Dev] Configuration framework syntax proposal

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 21 07:51:32 PDT 2017

> On Sep 21, 2017, at 8:18 AM, Seth Hall <seth at corelight.com> wrote:
>
> Yep, this notion of making things abstract-able into easy configuration
> interfaces and/or good documentation (using the inline broxygen
> comments) was always in the proposal, Johanna pointed it out in the
> original code sample.

Yeah, I was wondering what a UI would currently look like if you tried to use existing functionality, e.g. just identifier names and broxygen comments. Like Jan, I had a hard time understanding the benefit having two names for the same value: the identifier and config string.  It seems to push more burden than needed onto script authors, like maybe they don’t really care about a UI, but want the improved configuration capabilities.  i.e. maybe the requirements of a UI can be separate from the requirements of the new “configuration variables” concept.

Maybe one thing to do is try to actually build/design your ideal UI and/or configuration tool starting with just the existing Bro functionality.  You’ll definitely get an understanding of the low-level requirements that way.  i.e. first design/build the most basic user experience that functionally works and then, from that state, add whatever you think will be an improvement.

I’m half facetious in bringing it up, but have you seen CMake? https://cmake.org/runningcmake/