[Bro-Dev] Configuration framework syntax proposal

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Sep 21 08:22:23 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 14:51 +0000, you wrote:

> comments. Like Jan, I had a hard time understanding the benefit having
> two names for the same value: the identifier and config string.

Yeah, that's been my original concern as well. What if we focused that
new attribute just on displaying something to the user:

    const user_name: string &redef &display_name="User name"

A UI would show it as "User name", but everything else (incl.
internally the configuration framework) would use
My_Program::user_name. This would even work more generically, anything
could have a &display_name and we'd have Broxygen pick up on it too.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin