[Bro-Dev] set and vector operators

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Thu Apr 26 14:33:44 PDT 2018

On 4/26/18 3:43 PM, Vern Paxson wrote:

>> E.g. say you come back to some code after a few months and see "foo +=
>> 1".  Not obvious what 'foo' is anymore.
>
> I don't think it's reasonable to have the bar be "can you tell what's going
> on in isolation".  It should include consideration of associated context,
> variable names, and comments.  In fact, even now you don't know whether
> for "foo += 1" foo is an integer, a count, or a double.

Yeah, it was maybe a bit of a stretch -- more just an observation I was
trying to see if we could run with.  Also in relation to my recent
experiences with trying to read/debug some C++ code with a lot of
operator usage I found myself wishing some were just a named function
call so I could more easily navigate the code and even just find where
certain operators were defined/declared.

So the point I'm at now is that it would probably be nice not to have
multiple operators for the same thing, though don't have a strong
feeling about it.