[Bro-Dev] Final Broker branch testing

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Thu Apr 26 14:54:55 PDT 2018

On 4/26/18 4:30 PM, Johanna Amann wrote:

> It might be. I am honestly not sure - I suspect that this still will
> mean that some places might not be able to easily use Bro
> anymore--adding external package sources does not seem to be a viable
> option everywhere.

They could still build CMake themselves?  (CMake itself is easy to build)

The options to go forward are:

(1) Users whose OS has insufficient CMake will need to compile/obtain a
newer one.  This would mostly be Ubuntu 14.04 (LTS until April 2019) and
RHEL/CentOS 6+7 (LTS for these is in the 2020-2024 range).

(2) We go back to CMake 2.8.12 and have people compile CAF themselves.
(Or maybe we could conditionally require only 2.8.12 users to compile
CAF and others get the embedded CAF).

(3) I need to try to hack our CMake system more to try to get back down
to 2.8.12 while still being able to embed CAF.

I can give (3) a bit more time to see if I didn't miss something (the
line I was drawing before was having to manually do platform-dependent
RPATH manipulation), though would be nice to hear more feedback on the
approaches.

> As a side-note, it also looks like that means that we cannot provide
> binary packages for RedHat/CentOS anymore.
We should be able to use whatever we want to create the binary package,
shouldn't we?  Or do you mean it wouldn't be accepted as part of the
official repos even if it's just a build-time dependency?