[Bro-Dev] set and vector operators

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Mon Apr 30 08:10:03 PDT 2018

On 4/30/18 9:10 AM, Vern Paxson wrote:

> The question then was what would be the new "v op e" syntax.
> The best we could come up with (which we both found not-too-awful) is
> "vector(v op e)".  Wrapped in "vector(...)", the operation becomes the
> current semantics (apply "op e" separately to each element of v).

Maybe "vectorize(v op e)" ?

Implies implementing via SIMD instructions.

> "v op e" by itself would now be an error (which could point the user
> at the "vector(...)" syntax as possibly providing what they're looking
> for).  "v += e" would be "append e to v".

That still seems odd to me.  If "v += e" means "append", then I might
expect "v + e" to do the same, except producing a new value w/ original
vector not modified.

Maybe that's a less common use-case, though, and so "v op e" being an
error would be less weird than suddenly changing the meaning of that
operation.