[Bro-Dev] set and vector operators

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Apr 30 08:13:22 PDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 07:10 -0700, you wrote:

> Okay, I can live with this as long as '|' and '-' support add-to-set and
> remove-from-set.   But I think those have to work, given we'll enable them
> for operations on two sets.

Well, my vote then remains not adding new set operators for
add/delete, so that we don't have multiple ways to do the same thing.
Just looked at Python again, as a data point: That's what they do,
too. There are '|'/'&'/'-' for set/set operations, but no versions of
those for individual elements (they do that through methods instead;
add/delete are kind of our version of methods). Same for Ruby. I
looked around for a few more minutes for other languages, but didn't
immediately find any that even have any set operators at all (only
methods/functions for union/intersection/etc.).

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin