[Bro-Dev] Shipping CAF with Broker?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Feb 13 08:31:24 PST 2018

I was wondering the other day if we could add CAF as submodule to
Broker, and then just start compiling it along with everything else. A
long time ago we decided generally against shipping dependencies along
with Bro, but in this case it might make people's lives quite a bit
easier, as hardly any Bro user will have CAF installed already. And
even if they had (say from an earlier Bro version), it might not be
the right version. If we included it with Broker, things would just
work.

We could even go a step further and compile CAF statically into
libbroker, so that in the end from a user's perspective all they deal
with is Broker: if they link against it, they get everything they
need.

Would that make sense?

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin