[Bro-Dev] 'async' update and proposal

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Tue Feb 13 09:02:48 PST 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:44 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:

> Sounds like we all like that idea. Now the question is if we want to
> wait for that to materialize (which will take quite a bit more
> brainstorming and then implementation, obviously), or if we want to
> get async in in the current state and then put that on the TODO list?
> I can see arguments either way, curious what others think.

Releasing the async feature by itself sounds unsafe.  Due to the "code
understandability" concern people had, it didn't sound like there was
a big demand to start using it without a solution to that anyway, and
releasing async by itself risks that solution falling through or being
delayed/unusable for an extended period, resulting in "weird code"
being written in the meantime and possibly never rewritten later on
because "it still technically works".

I'd maybe even go about implementing context/scope by branching off
the async branch, just in case there's details that arise that make it
less suitable than originally thought and have to go back to the
drawing board.