[Bro-Dev] 'async' update and proposal

Johanna Amann johanna at icir.org
Tue Feb 13 09:03:21 PST 2018

On 13 Feb 2018, at 7:44, Robin Sommer wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 10:01 -0800, Johanna wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to quickly chime in here to say that I generally like
>> the
>> idea of having these contexts.
>
> Sounds like we all like that idea. Now the question is if we want to
> wait for that to materialize (which will take quite a bit more
> brainstorming and then implementation, obviously), or if we want to
> get async in in the current state and then put that on the TODO list?
> I can see arguments either way, curious what others think.

I have one obvious fear if we put it in now. Which is that it will be
more or less put off forever :).

And we might end up with a pretty annoying situation where people (and
we) start using it and you end up with all these really hard to debug
corner-cases with event ordering. This is already kind of hard to do,
especially with protocols that have a bunch of events - I managed to get
this wrong a few times in the case of SSL where some parts of the
connections where not logged correctly in some circumstances.

Basically - I fear that this will make it really hard to write scripts
that work correctly in all cases.

Johanna