[Bro-Dev] 'async' update and proposal

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Jan 30 07:43:46 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:11 -0500, you wrote:

> I like this idea a lot!

Yeah, I like it, too. Additional benefit: it actually opens the door
for parallelization again, too ...

>   Do you foresee that causing trouble if we went that direction
>   though?  It seems like it could cause trouble by causing events to
>   backup waiting for some other event to finish executing.

It could. The async operations all time out, so there's a cap to how
long things can get stalled, but still: if that happens to many async
operations simultaneously, we could end up we lots of stuff in flight.
On the other hand, I don't think this can be avoided though: either we
want dependencies or we don't. You can't have the cake and it eat it
too I guess. :)

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin