[Bro-Dev] Bro DCE-RPC Analyzer Questions

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Wed Jan 31 08:05:23 PST 2018

The original idea was to get extensive parsing in place for DCE-RPC
messages by parsing the IDL files for those services.  Someone in the
community had hoped to take it on, but hasn't had time yet to complete
it.  If you'd be interested in discussing that, I think that could be a
huge addition to Bro (hundreds of new events!).

The At service parsing file is still there because I didn't want to lose
track of it but I think there was some slight architectural change that
needed to happen before I could pass data to it.  I don't think that
data is even going to that parser, it's not just that there aren't
events.  I'd have to refer back to the code to see what exactly is wrong
though.

As for an approach to this problem right now, I'd prefer to see parsing
done in the core.  Architecturally we try to avoid passing unparsed data
to Bro script land because of performance concerns and we generally
don't have the intrinsic tools to be able to do parsing well in Bro
scripts.

   .Seth

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com