[Bro-Dev] Performance Issues after the fe7e1ee commit?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Jun 12 14:26:19 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 14:16 -0500, you wrote:

> This has lead to the fix/workaround at [1], now in master, which

Cool, that indeed solved it! It also helps significantly when data
stores *are* being used; that still takes about 2x the time, but
that's much less than before. Now I'm wondering if we can get that
back down to normal, too ...

One question about Broker's endpoint::advance_time(): that's locking
on each call when in pcap mode, i.e., once per packet. Could we limit
that to cases where something actually needs to be done? Quick idea:
use an atomic<> for current_time plus another atomic<> counter
tracking if there are any pending message. And go into the locked case
only if the latter is non-zero?

> General changes/improvements in CAF itself may be warranted here

Yeah, sounds like it.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin