[Bro-Dev] $history extensions - zero windows, logarithmic counts

Vern Paxson vern at corelight.com
Fri Jun 15 11:24:08 PDT 2018

> I really like those ideas, especially the logarithmic count.

Cool :-).

> How much would it cost to have an event fired when those thresholds are crossed?

Nice thought.  I think it would be too expensive if done for the first
instance, but for each of the backed-off instances it ought to be rare
enough that it's not a problem.  So maybe something like:

	## Generated each time a reporting threshold (10, 100, 1000, ...)
	## is crossed, starting with 10.
	event multiple_tcp_zero_windows(c: connection, is_orig: bool,
					threshold: count);
	event multiple_tcp_checksum_errors(c: connection, is_orig: bool,
					threshold: count);
	event multiple_tcp_retransmissions(c: connection, is_orig: bool,
					threshold: count);

?

		Vern