[Bro-Dev] Broker port status

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:18:08 PST 2018

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 1:28 PM, Jon Siwek <jsiwek at corelight.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, this is just a status update on porting Bro to use the new
> Broker communication system.  I'd say the topic/actor-system branch is
> now functionally complete with still a few weeks left of internal
> cleanup/improvements.

Awesome, I'll get it deployed here on a test cluster.

> Open questions:
>
> * Rename "proxy" nodes?
>
> The previous idea was to call them "data nodes", though I don't see
> the benefit.  It's awkward to talk about because there's no shorthand
> for that node type: you can say "logger", "manager", or "worker",
> though you'd have to say the whole "data node" phrase to make any
> sense.  That also shows that maybe it's helpful to name nodes based
> upon a personifiable role that they play: "data" isn't a role/action
> performed by a node/person.  IMO, "proxy" is still accurate to the
> role that these nodes perform: they are intermediaries for offloading
> analysis and/or storage.  Are there other ideas or is everyone wanting
> to go ahead with "data node" ?

I think I was the one calling them data nodes, but I only did that because that's what
they were called in the original broker integration branch that Mathias Fischer started.

I don't care about the name, as long as it's documented as a proxy node is for "offloading
analysis and storage" that works for me.

> * How much of the old comm. system to deprecate vs. remove?
>
> (1) &synchronized, &mergeable, &persistent.  Seems fine to deprecate these now.

I'm fine with it going away, but there needs to be some sort of replacement for &synchronized,
minimally a how-to for porting existing scripts to something else.

I don't think anyone currently uses mergeable or persistent.

—
Justin Azoff