[Bro-Dev] Moving to GitHub?

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Thu May 17 09:21:43 PDT 2018

On 5/15/18 7:19 PM, Robin Sommer wrote:
> What do people think? Any support, or concerns?

Yeah, generally in favor with some comments:

* For porting over JIRA tickets to GitHub, "most recent" doesn't seem
like a good metric to use.  e.g. BIT-1829 (pcap triggering assertion in
binpac) seems kind of important and not something I'd want to have lost
in the move, although it had no activity in almost a year.  So, I think
it's worth it to be more comprehensive here, and as long as someone is
going through to review all the tickets, they may as well just port all
the older ones that are still valid over to GitHub.  (Yeah, I guess I'm
volunteering).

* One thing I did like about using JIRA for merge requests is that I
could make a single ticket and just say I have a given branch name in a
bunch of repos that are ready for review/merge.  I find myself in that
situation quite often, actually, so transitioning to GitHub PRs, I
wonder if we'd want a PR to be created against each individual repo?
Seems a bit much in terms of overhead.  Alternatively, could still
create a GH issue and just say "please review branch foo in repos X, Y,
Z and merge them".  Or else create a single PR in the "root" repo and
mention in the PR that the same branch in child submodules also exists
and needs merging.  That may play better with Travis CI integration
even, although maybe not in the case where you need to change things in
the "external testing" repos, which are not connected to bro via a
submodule.