[Bro-Dev] Moving to GitHub?

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Fri May 18 06:27:13 PDT 2018

On 5/17/18 6:27 PM, Robin Sommer wrote:

> That may be a bit too broad though. How about "still valid and either
> (1) quite important or (2) something we expect will be addresses
> reasonably soon"? We have many old tickets that are technically still
> valid but unlikely to see any work anytime soon (otherwise they would
> have been addressed already), and I'm worried that they would just add
> noise without value.

That sounds like a general concern about project/ticket organization and
management.  What if valid-but-old tickets were moved into GitHub with a
simple "backlog" tag that you can filter out?  Or we could take the
opportunity to be better about sorting on other categories as well
(bug/feature/etc).

There's also the possibility to start a project board page [1] to aid in
visual organization of tasks/issues and further reduce perceived noise.
See [2] for an example of what one of those pages could look like.

> The old tickets won't go away, the JIRA will
> remain. If something becomes relevant/active, we can always bring it
> over at that time.

Keeping the JIRA around as a backlog like that decreases
focus/visibility -- if we want to be optimistic about community
contributions and bug fixes, we'd have to keep calling attention to
search in two locations, GH and JIRA, instead of just one.  We'd also
need to stay on top of maintaining JIRA to be relatively in sync with
anything that gets resolved in GH else keeping JIRA around may become
more liability than useful as it gets harder and harder to tell if
something there has actually been addressed.

Doing a half-hearted effort to migrate tickets from JIRA undermines the
goal of having an authoritative/central location for all code + tickets.
  Can we instead try to deal with it once and for all?

- Jon

[1] https://github.com/orgs/bro/projects
[2] https://github.com/git-lfs/git-lfs/projects/3