[Bro-Dev] Moving to GitHub?

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Fri May 18 09:17:33 PDT 2018

On May 18, 2018, at 11:11 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org<mailto:robin at icir.org>> wrote:

What I was envisioning is more or less a clean slate: we'd migrate
over a few tickets, but essentially we'd start with an empty list. I
realize that sounds pretty harsh. However, I hardly ever see any
activity on older tickets in JIRA, and I generally believe that the
less open tickets a tracker has, the easier it is for people to
understand what's actually relevant and worth spending cycles on.
Tagging tickets may help, but in the end if everybody just filters 95%
out all the time anyways, I'm not sure what the value is.

That said, I'm open to a real porting effort if people do believe it's
helpful to get all the JIRA tickets into GitHub. What do others think?

Start clean for BIT. Unless it is marked critical, I don’t think it needs to go over. If people have tickets of their own they want to move over, it should not be too hard to manually recreate a couple.

And after BroCon I think we kill the Jira and wiki completely. We should be done with the project management and event tickets by then.

------

Adam J. Slagell
Director, Cybersecurity & Networking Division
Chief Information Security Officer
www.slagell.info<http://www.slagell.info>

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."