[Bro-Dev] bro-devel package?

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Thu May 24 13:28:30 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Vlad Grigorescu <vlad at es.net> wrote:
> There are a couple of cases where I think it'd be useful to have a bro-devel
> package -- a package that I can install on a system, and then be able to
> build plugins against Bro. (This is the same model as other *-devel
> packages, such as openssl, libpcap, etc.)

Yes, I think it's useful and something that should be done.  It was
fairly low on my list of things to try to do before 2.6.  Related:

https://bro-tracker.atlassian.net/browse/BIT-1922

> I'm curious how people are dealing with this issue, and if anyone has
> thoughts on whether this would be useful, and if so, what it would take to
> build such a package.

My guess as to what needs to be done:

* separate bifcl into its own submodule: I think this should be easy
* install Bro's headers: at least I think that's all that we need to
do on our end, it's also a bit of an open question as to whether we
just install them all for now until we get a more organized API or can
get away with a smaller subset
* update the plugin CMake/configure skeletons and/or bro-config to be
able to make use of the above two points