[Bro-Dev] Consistent error handling for scripting mistakes

Jim Mellander jmellander at lbl.gov
Mon Nov 12 11:44:40 PST 2018

Along the same vein of sensible Bro script error handling, I'm resending an
issue I found in January:

I was tinkering with the sumstats code, and inadvertantly deleted the final
"}" closing out the last function.  When running the code, the misleading
error message is received:

error in bro/share/bro/base/frameworks/tunnels/./main.bro, line 8: syntax
error, at or near "module"

presumably due to the function still being open when the next policy script
is loaded.  Wouldn't it be more reasonable to check at the end of each
script when loaded that there are no dangling functions, expressions, etc.
????

There are also silent fails which probably should give a warning, such as
failing to include the fully-qualified event name silently preventing the
event from being triggered.

The above are more in the area of parsing vs runtime.

My idea on runtime scripting errors would be to apply a sensible default to
the offending expression (null or 0, as the case may be, might be
sufficient), log the error, and continue....

Jim