[Bro-Dev] Config Framework Feedback

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:41:00 PDT 2018

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Hosom, Stephen M <hosom at battelle.org> wrote:
>
> I bumped into a limitation that was a little frustrating to work around with the config framework.
>

> It is inconvenient that values stored in files read by adding to Config::config_files are not available within the bro_init event. After reviewing how the Config framework works, I understand why this is the case, but it means that if you want to use configuration values on startup, you're not guaranteed to be working with the anticipated value.
>

> I think the introduction of an event that ensures that configuration files have been read by the time that the event fires might be worthwhile. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how to resolve/work-around this issue.

This is an issue, but probably not the one you are thinking of.  even if configuration files were fully read by the time bro_init was ran, you'd still need to handle the value changing at runtime.

If you need to run code when an option changes, you can use the Option::set_change_handler to make bro raise an event.  Using this instead of bro_init would fix the startup problem, and handle it changing at any time.

There's a test that uses this in testing/btest/core/option-priorities.bro and a few other files.

—
Justin Azoff