[Bro-Dev] Bro 2.6-beta plans

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Sat Sep 8 08:20:05 PDT 2018

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 6:58 PM, Jon Siwek <jsiwek at corelight.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 3:41 PM Azoff, Justin S <jazoff at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
>> One thing I'm still seeing when I switch from an old version to latest master is that huge spike
>> in Content switches/interrupts and cpu spent in the kernel.
>
> I just updated the default tuning parameters for CAF's scheduling
> policy and exposed them all in Bro [1] and get within 10% of the
> number of context switches that 2.5.5 had in a very simple test case.
>
> Let me know how that goes for everyone.
>
> [1] https://github.com/bro/bro/blob/4bd6da71864b4ab68b372954c6268a023d69e52b/scripts/base/frameworks/broker/main.bro#L64-L94

That helped a little with the context switches, but not much with the cpu load.

Do many of those options do anything?  I tried looking in the CAF source to figure out how they are used, and it looks like they are all defined in
libcaf_core/caf/actor_system_config.hpp as

  size_t work_stealing_aggressive_poll_attempts CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_aggressive_steal_interval CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_moderate_poll_attempts CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_moderate_steal_interval CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_moderate_sleep_duration_us CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_relaxed_steal_interval CAF_DEPRECATED;
  size_t work_stealing_relaxed_sleep_duration_us CAF_DEPRECATED;

—
Justin Azoff