[Bro-Dev] JIRA to GitHub ticket migration plan

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Tue Sep 18 08:37:54 PDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 7:35 AM Vlad Grigorescu <vlad at es.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:28 AM Robin Sommer <robin at corelight.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are Jenkins and Coverity already pulling from GitHub?
>
> No, I thought Jenkins was pushing to Coverity.

Travis is triggered by commits on GitHub and looks like it has a
monthly cron to upload to Coverity.

However, some submodule + testing repos that Travis clones are
actually using the bro.org repo instead of github.com URL, but that's
maybe not something to try to change now, but rather wait until
performing the actual move.

> Is the plan to have GitHub issues within each repo? That is, bro, binpac, etc. I think we'd lose the easy way to see all issues,

Yeah, issues are better kept within the associated GH repo.  We rarely
saw JIRA tickets made for non-bro subcomponents and a good portion of
people were already using GitHub issues for those anyway.

> but if I recall, there was a way in GitHub to see issues across a few repos. Maybe by organization?

Probably thinking of "project boards".  You can create an
organization-wide board that contains issues from separate repos.  I
haven't looked extensively at project boards, but I don't think it's
something we'll generally use because you have to manually add issues
to boards rather than treat them like an automated filter based on
issue labels/status/etc.  That could make it more useful when
organizing specific long-term projects, but still likely decide to use
it on a case-by-case basis rather than generally.