[Zeek-Dev] maybe migrating Zeek CI from Travis to Cirrus

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Mon Dec 9 17:15:10 PST 2019

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 3:05 PM Tim Wojtulewicz <tim at corelight.com> wrote:

> 1. Can we build arbitrary branches on Cirrus?

Yes, it's a bit awkward how you do it, but I guess better than Travis.
In Cirrus, you can manually trigger an arbitrary branch, but like
Travis, the default is to reject branches that are not whitelisted:

https://github.com/jsiwek/zeek/blob/94c4790610cf279157ecd536df144fadb83835c1/.cirrus.yml#L13-L16

But in Cirrus, you also get the option to override the .cirrus.yml
directly in the web interface for manually triggering a branch.  So
basically you can copy-paste the .cirrus.yml and remove the "only_if"
lines, no temporary hacks needed to be committed into the branch
itself.

> 2. Why move the Coverity build? Does it not offer a cron-like interface for running regular builds?

Didn't look like Cirrus has cron-like functionality yet, see
https://github.com/cirruslabs/cirrus-ci-docs/issues/39

But also the Coverity build doesn't exactly fit the same mold as the
other tasks.  If we didn't have any Coverity usage limitations (think
it's 1 build per day?) and it was required to run on every new commit
in `master`, then I'd say it would be ideal to have that ported into
Cirrus, too, but since that's not the case, I don't have much
preference where it runs except doesn't seem efficient to pay to
bypass the 50 minute Travis time limit anymore just for doing the
Coverity build if GitHub Actions has a free 6 hour time limit and also
supports cron workflows.

> 3. Can you move the travis-job script up into the ci directory instead of leaving it in testing?

Just to keep things a bit more organized while Travis is still being
used in parallel with Cirrus? Sure, but eventually travis-job can get
removed: rewrote/factored bits of that into the other ci/*.sh scripts
for Cirrus to use.

- Jon