[Zeek-Dev] support for event handlers using a subset of parameters

Seth Hall seth at corelight.com
Wed Feb 6 08:51:40 PST 2019

On 6 Feb 2019, at 10:48, Jon Siwek wrote:

> We can't magically change that user's code.  We have to, somehow, let
> that work as it is, without user intervention.

Yeah, I think that's right.  I was trying to come up with some proposed
model for indicating that you're specifying named parameters but that
would still force existing code to be updated so that it could keep
using the existing model.

One thing I've been thinking about a little bit is how much we're
concerning ourselves with maintaining perfect backward compatibility and
if there is some benefit to breaking a bit of backward compatibility for
something truly nicer?  Like, should we have some specialized syntax for
specifying named parameter use?  Should we have something like anonymous
records where you specify a variant of record syntax for named
parameters?  (ruby comes to mind for this, but I've seen people do
similar things in c too)

I'm just wondering if we should do a one-time source compatibility break
to could get some tangible benefit in usability or understanding.  I
think Robin's concern is about backing us into a corner with a syntax
that makes code confusing.  Is that correct Robin?

Seth Hall * Corelight, Inc * www.corelight.com