[Zeek-Dev] Zeek and the myricom package plugin

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Mon Jul 15 10:05:54 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Michael Dopheide <dopheide at es.net> wrote:

> Side conversation, what are people's thoughts on how to handle package transition to zeek?  Using bro-myricom as an example, I made a zeek-myricom just to help me keep in clear in my head.  Repos could just be renamed, but I can see situations where that breaks auto-update procedures without some hand holding.  I haven't looked too closely to see if zkg supports both bro-pkg and zkg in the 'depends' field for meta data.

* It's up to the package maintainer whether they want to rename -- we
can't force them.

* For packages maintained on GitHub (effectively all of them), when a
person renames a repository, GitHub automatically allows accessing the
repo via the old name/URL as a redirect to the new URL.  So people who
had installed with bro-pkg/zkg using the old URL should still be fine
going forward.

* The one thing that may break is if users had done an explicit `@load
bro-myricom` somewhere, so I've provided an `aliases` metadata field
for package maintainers to add in order to still support loading via
old names:

    https://docs.zeek.org/projects/package-manager/en/stable/package.html#aliases-field

* zkg does recognize either "zkg" or "bro-pkg" in the `depends` field.
Also "zeek" or "bro" are accepted.  However, the new "zeek" and "zkg"
names aren't recognized until zkg v2.0, so if the goal is to still
support users of bro-pkg, you'd still need to use "bro" and "bro-pkg".
Full docs:

    https://docs.zeek.org/projects/package-manager/en/stable/package.html#depends-field

- Jon