[Zeek-Dev] Zeek 3.0.0+ "master" versioning process change

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Wed Jul 24 20:36:20 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 6:02 PM Johanna Amann <johanna at icir.org> wrote:

> Actually, thinking about it some more - could we just not have the
> -alpha (or -dev) label, and go back to how it was before - with a
> changed meaning?
>
> so - just 3.1.0-[commit-number] for the development builds.

Our versioning script uses the last-reachable tag in "master".  At the
time we start the 3.1.0 development cycle, we don't have that 3.1.0
tag, and also that tag won't ever be made along the "master" branch,
it will be made sometime later within the "release/3.1" branch.

> > I generally like this - the only thing that I am not sure about is the
> > alpha label.
> >
> > I get that it works great with alphabetic ordering - but for me alpha
> > tends to signify some kind of test release.

What's meant by "test release" here ?

Could essentially consider any given commit in "master" to be a "test
release" -- and if we decide to be more formal/vocal about providing
builds of "master" (e.g. the OBS nightlies), then "alpha" may describe
exactly what you think it signifies ?

- Jon