[Zeek-Dev] CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS bug with configure

Jon Siwek jsiwek at corelight.com
Wed May 29 14:21:22 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 10:30 AM Jim Mellander <jmellander at lbl.gov> wrote:

> There appear to be several alternatives to allow supplied flags to override the defaults, the most reasonable appearing to be modifying the build commands to apply CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS after the defaults.
>
> I'm not a cmake maven, but it seems likely that lines like:
> set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS   "${CMAKE_C_FLAGS}   ${bro_cache_CMAKE_C_FLAGS}")
>
> could be reversed ala:
>
> set(CMAKE_C_FLAGS   "${bro_cache_CMAKE_C_FLAGS}   ${CMAKE_C_FLAGS}")
>
> to achieve that effect.

The couple places where we set CMAKE_C{XX}_FLAGS don't seem to matter:
the flags associated with CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE always come last in the
generated Makefile and I think that's just what CMake does, not
something we can control.

However, you should be able to bypass CMake from inserting build-type
flags entirely if you supply an unknown/bogus build type:

    CFLAGS='-O3' CXXFLAGS='-O3' ./configure --build-type=none

- Jon