[Zeek-Dev] Zeek Supervisor Command-Line Client

Robin Sommer robin at corelight.com
Wed Jul 1 02:02:08 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 14:29 -0700, Jon Siwek wrote:

> Maybe the important observation is that the logic can be performed
> anywhere that has access to the Zeek-Supervisor process.

Agree.

> So where we put the logic at this point may not be important.  If we
> can find a single-best-place for the logic to live, that's great

I believe that's what Seth is arguing for: have a Zeek-side script be
the single point of that logic, rather than implement it multiple
times and/or outside of Zeek.

I can see doing that in Zeek but I think there's a trade-off here: if
we want to do the singe-place approach with a multi-system setup, we'd
need an authoritative place to run this logic and hence depend on
*that* Zeek supervisor being up and running for performing the
operation. That may be a reasonably assumption (say if we dedicated
the supervisor running the manager to also be the cluster
coordinator), but it's different from a world where the client can
execute higher-level operations on its own.

Robin Sommer * Corelight, Inc. * robin at corelight.com * www.corelight.com