Compile Errors in Linux

Vern Paxson vern at ee.lbl.gov
Thu Sep 17 20:13:17 PDT 1998

Craig Leres is working on porting Bro to our local Linux box (the earlier
patches were contributed by a 0.3 alpha tester for their particular Linux
system).  Expect a 0.5 release soon.

There was a question earlier about replacing a use of "bgp" with 179/tcp
and speculation that this is because the compiler reads /etc/services.
That's right.  This has turned out to be a portability headache.  I guess
the right way to fix it is to predefine a bunch of names for particular
ports; I'm not all that happy with such a solution, though, because it
eats up id's from the namespace, some of which are of no interest at all
in some environments.

		Vern