Bro 0.6 and empty const values

Joey McAlerney joey at SiliconDefense.com
Mon Oct 4 09:49:08 PDT 1999

Hello,

I am working with Bro 0.6 at the moment, and have ran into an issue.  In
the policy scripts, there are a number of const values that contain
machines that do not exist in our network, or machines that we are not
interested in (e.g.,  non_ASCII_hosts in login.bro).  Is there a way to
specify that the const value is empty where it is declared?  For
example, if our network does not have a ftp_server running, can we
assign a value to the line,

const ftp_servers = { ??? };

that will allow Bro to run, and avoid parsing errors?

I bring this up, because currently I am commenting some const values
out, and any reference to them in the scripts that depend on them.  My
intuition tells me there must be another way.

One more thing.  I was unable to subscribe to this mailing list via
bro-subscribe at lbl.gov.  lbl.gov responds with a "use unknown" reply.  If
anyone knows why this is, I would appreciate the information.

Joey McAlerney
Silicon Defense