Bro 0.6 and empty const values

Vern Paxson vern at ee.lbl.gov
Tue Oct 5 10:50:06 PDT 1999

> Is there a way to
> specify that the const value is empty where it is declared?

Yes, but in that case you have to specify a type for the variable,
too, since Bro can't infer it.  So, for example:

	const ftp_servers: set[addr];

With the 0.7 release, there will be significantly smoother support
for defining things like the above and overriding them.  For example,
you'll be able to do:

	const ftp_servers: set[addr] &redef;	# &redef = it's okay to redefine

	const ftp_servers += { webfarm.myorg.org, webfarm2.myorg.org };

	const ftp_servers += { departmental.ftp.myorg.org };

	# Don't consider webfarm.myorg.org an FTP server for our particular
	# local policy.
	const ftp_servers -= { webfarm.myorg.org };

and at the end of this ftp_servers is initialized to { webfarm2.myorg.org,
departmental.ftp.myorg.org }.

> One more thing.  I was unable to subscribe to this mailing list via
> bro-subscribe at lbl.gov.  lbl.gov responds with a "use unknown" reply.  If
> anyone knows why this is, I would appreciate the information.

The mailing list is now run by majordomo.  To get on it, send a message to
majordomo at listserv.lbl.gov with the *body* "subscribe bro".  If you found
stale information somewhere that said to try bro-subscribe at llb.gov, please
let me know.

		Vern