bro machines

Vern Paxson vern at ee.lbl.gov
Sun Jan 7 01:28:17 PST 2001

>   I am about to build three Bro machines, and I'm trying to determine what
>   hardware to buy.  These machines will all monitor gigabit ethernet links
>   and will be running FreeBSD-STABLE.
>
>   Here's my first pass:
>
>     800 MHz PIII or better
>     at least 2 64-bit PCI slots
>     256 MB RAM
>     3 x 40GB+ ATA100 HD
>     ATAPI CD-ROM
>     10/100 Ethernet
>     2 x SysKonnect SK-9842 SK-NET GE-SX
>     lame AGP SVGA card
>
>   I'm a little bit uncertain about the IDE disk, but the 40GB disks are less
>   than $200 each -- I can have over 100GB of logging space this way.  I'm
>   normally a SCSI bigot, but lately I'm not sure it's worth it in all
>   applications.

All in all, that system looks good.  The key question in general is just
how large a traffic stream will you be monitoring.  The above should be
fine for a good-sized site (say 1000 hosts, in my experience).  Much larger
and you'll want to increase the RAM.

>   Are the SysKonnect cards the way to go?

That's what we use, generally to good effect.  Others may work fine,
too, I don't know.

		Vern