bro as a daemon.

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Sun Jul 14 05:19:28 PDT 2002

> When i run bro in the background, it seems to die off
> without any notice.(There is no log why, in bro.log or /var/log/messages)
> i ran as ./bro -i eth1 mt.bro &
>
> Do you know of any reason why ?

This is strange, as we run Bro in the background all the time.

> Maybe it would be better to run as a daemon if possible
> rather that using the &

No, this is something worth debugging, there's nothing magic about running
as a daemon.  The way to go about it is run it in the background, then
attach to it with the debugger, set a breakpoint in "exit", and then see
what's causing it to call exit().

		Vern