BRA: The Bro Re-usable Architecture (release 0.1a) -- A set of scripts to help in using and setting up a Bro environment.
Christopher Jay Manders
Chris.Manders at UnixHelpDesk.COM
Sat Jul 5 19:42:23 PDT 2003
I have been toying with a set of scripts for some time now to help those
that use or plan to use bro.
In my opinion, there needs to be more consistency in bro implementations
(I have now seen a few) to actually be able to provide any further
supplementary scripts and applications that can help in making the use
of bro as effective as possible.
What I have done is to compile a set of scripts that comprise a base
environment in which bro can run. Since they get bro up and going with
many re-usable aspects, I have dubbed my set of scripts BRA (the Bro
Re-usable Architecture). These scripts are meant to compliment the use
of bro in an environment and are independent of any bro policies used.
The main features of BRA are:
1) The BRA environment encapsulates and provides wrapper functions for
2) All of the scripts are written in PERL for consistency.
3) All of the scripts use one single configuration file (~/etc/config.cf).
4) All of the scripts are meant to be small and take up little disk
space, memory and cpu.
5) Provide a means to 'checkpoint' or 'restart' a Bro instantiation
without loss of network traffic analysis.
6) Provide a default set of reports that are sent to those using Bro
(coming in next release).
7) Help organize the log files for later use.
Please feel free to download the initial BRA release (this is a very
early alpha release) from here:
This is just the bare-bones version that I am releasing, as I have a
more robust setup for myself. Eventually I'll add the pieces that make
the most sense, or that are found to be the most useful, in updates.
I am very interested in feedback, suggestions or other comments to
further provide a bro environment that folks find to be pleasing and
NOTE: The BRA setup does not provide any software such as bro. You will
need to download and compile bro independently.
More information about the Bro