[Bro] flow-level analysis code

Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D. anton at netForensics.com
Fri Dec 17 12:16:27 PST 2004

>> I am very interested, but it seems that it is somewhat outside the scope
>> of Bro as a classic NIDS. Reading netflow will make no sense (for Bro)
>> since there is no packet contents.

> Actually, I think it does make sense.  Bro can do a fair amount of analysis
> based on TCP SYN/FIN/RST packets and UDP request/replies without seeing
> packet contents.  For example, its scan detection is driven off of this
> level of information.

But where you will take it beyond scans?

Maybe automatic 'stepping stone' detection based on flows? Or flow
profiling (for backdoors and trojans with new prots)? It looks like it
will be a very different product as a result.

Also, in this case we will see neither contents nor the header, just the
fact that seesion took place.

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH
Author of "Security Warrior" from O'Reilly - http://www.securitywarrior.com

** netForensics has  scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **