Strange question

rmkml rmkml at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 21 13:49:54 PST 2004

Hi,

I little tested bro on my fbsd v49R box,

I send with tcpreplay on another box (linux) trafic 50Mbits (/8 for
MBytes) [Cross cable with two box]

and if I send 'systat 1 -vmstat' on freebsd,

I read on interrupt fxp1 case : ~6000-6500 interrupt

ok is good because 6500 * 8 = ~50Mbits

My strange question is,

why if (I killed bro) and start tcpdump v381 (or 372 or snort or prelude)

I read on interrupt fxp1 case : ~4200 interrupt

this is not good because 4200 * 8 = 33.6Mbits

I have many repeat this and same results.
same results if change sysctl bpf buf.

This is not a question to bro, but if anybody to explain me ?

I compiled bro 0.8a70 current with libpcap 081.

I compiled freebsd kernel with HZ=1000.
(my kernel not have polling compiled/enabled,
and my fxp1 have uniq irq)

Regards

Rmkml at Wanadoo.fr