compile problems on Mac OS X (with XCode 1.2 and BIND9)

Ruoming Pang rpang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 9 21:14:55 PDT 2004

Christian,

Thanks for looking into it.

> you owe me a beer because ....

Sure. :)

> Okay ... well what I see here is that if BIND_8_COMPAT is defined,
> nameser8_compat.h is included (note the "8"), and that causes
> nonblocking lookups to be disabled because nameser8_compat does not
> define ns_msg.
>
> What I'm doing in the attached patch is
>
> 1. check whether you're running Darwin
> 2. if so, test whether just including arpa/nameser.h gives you HEADER
> 3. if 2 fails, include arpa/nameser_compat.h and use -lresolv instead
> of
> /usr/lib/libresolv.a
>
> Just using -lresolv in general bombs on at least Linux. *sigh*.
>
> Build tested on Darwin, Linux, FreeBSD. Apply with -p1. The patch also
> contains a few comments for configure.ac, and removes duplicated ones
> for OpenSSL checks.

I'm wondering if the problem is due to BIND 9 rather than Darwin. Just
a random, unverified thought, as I haven't tried it on any other system
that has BIND 9. But the FreeBSD on jaguar doesn't have BIND 9.

Ruoming