[Bro] Bro install problems on linux

Charles Comstock dgtized at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:04:49 PDT 2005

On 8/25/05, Christian Kreibich <christian at whoop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 15:52 -0500, Charles Comstock wrote:
> > I tried compiling with CFLAGS='-g' and CXXFLAGS='-g' and while it
> > included the -g in all the compile lines when it went by I still don't
> > seem to get additional info in the gdb backtrace.  However during
> > compile I get about 30 or 40 warnings per file about mismatched sizes
> > for ints.
>
> Could you post a few examples of those (or alternatively, send me the
> full output off-line)?

Here is some example output, it's like this for alot of files though.

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -I. -I../src -I. -I.. -Ilibedit
-I../linux-include -I../aux/libpcap-0.7.2 -O -g   -g -c -o main.o
`test -f main.cc || echo './'`main.cc
In file included from DNS_Mgr.h:28,
                 from main.cc:42:
EventHandler.h: In member function `void
EventHandler::SourceIDList::insert(SourceID)':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `void
EventHandler::SourceIDList::sortedinsert(SourceID, int (*)(const
void*, const void*))':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `void
EventHandler::SourceIDList::append(SourceID)':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::remove(SourceID)':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::remove_nth(int)':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID EventHandler::SourceIDList::get()':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::last()':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::replace(int, SourceID)':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::is_member(SourceID) const':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `int
EventHandler::SourceIDList::member_pos(SourceID) const':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
EventHandler.h: In member function `SourceID
EventHandler::SourceIDList::operator[](int) const':
EventHandler.h:53: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

> > So I'm kinda guessing it might be related to 64bit
> > compatability if it's not just something i am doing wrong.  Whatever
> > the case gdb seems unable to give me any more info then that one line
> > of output.  If anyone has a better suggestion on how to get debugger
> > traceback with more info I will be happy to post that output.
>
> What happens when you type "bt" at the gdb prompt, when gdb shows you
> the message you're posting below?

When I print a bt I get the same line:

0x0000000000528da1 in __ns_initparse ()

I think by default gdb displays bt when the program exits abnormally.
Is there a different flag then -g I should be feeding the compiler in
order to get more backtrace info?

Thanks,
  Charles Comstock