[Bro] bad_tcp_checksum

Yohann THOMAS yohann.thomas at rd.francetelecom.com
Mon Jan 17 10:05:12 PST 2005

Here are the last results of my investigation ;-) :

-I confirm the bad tcp checksums when capturing with tcpdump, and I
confirm that there is no bad tcp checksum with the computer on which Bro
works correctly (using in both cases libpcap-0.8.3-5, which is the same
as Bro),

-Bro works offline for all the tested computers with a correct dump,

-Considering It "could" be due to the ethernet controller (strange,
but...), I tried another one. In fact, my old computer had a PCnet32, so
I tried this one on the other computer.
Result : it works !!! So, it first seems to confirm the problem isn't
due to a conflict between software versions.
 Hum...In fact, I remember that I had Bro work very well with 3Com and
Realtek chips, and also Intel e100...

...and suddenly, I come to the fact that the 2 computers on which I have
bad tcp checksums have gigabit ethernet controllers...

Note that one is really used in a gigabit network, but the other one is
on a 100Mbps network, so it is automatically restricted at 100Mbps.

So, my question is : Can the problem be due to the gigabit interfaces
(even if one is used at a 100Mbps speed) ??? (Initialization problem ???
...)

Yohann.