[Bro] Question on bro anonymization

Roger Winslow RWinslow at lbl.gov
Sat Jul 23 07:44:47 PDT 2005

Are you running on a fairly quiet link?  If so it can take a long time
for packets to start showing up in the logs as data is flushed to files
when the handles fill, not when data arrives.

Try this in your site policy
@load file-flush        # flush file writes at 10 second intervals

This will flush data to files every ten seconds.  Note that the timer
used here is network_time().  This means that if no data arrives time
does not increment and nothing gets flushed to files.

This policy should only be used on links that are not very busy as the
file flushing can get expensive the more data there is.

Have you verified that Bro is actually running after you start it?  Try ->
"./bro.rc status"  If it shows not running then take a look at syslog or
the info file.

Also make sure Bro is listening on the interface you expect.  Check the
info file for what interfaces Bro thinks it's listening on.