[Bro] Bro on Linksys Router.

Jim Mellander jmellander at lbl.gov
Fri Jun 24 12:52:22 PDT 2005

I've been tinkering with getting bro running on a Linksys commodity
router which has a MIPS processor & runs linux.

bro has been compiled for MIPS & transferred to the linksys.  The folks
at www.openwrt.org have made up quite a nice distribution.  It actually
is a nice general purpose (albeit tiny) Linux box.  The tmp directory is
in ram, the rest is actually in flash memory in compressed form, and is
read-write, so you actually have a persistant file system (although, of
course, flash has a limited number of re-write cycles, so you wouldn't
want to abuse that property).  It makes it nice for installing custom
software, tho'.

Anyway, bro gets this error when starting up:
/tmp/bro/bro/policy/pcap.bro, line 62: error: unknown identifier log, at
or near "log"

---- Here's where it fails:
function install_default_pcap_filter()
         {
         if ( ! install_pcap_filter(DefaultPcapFilter) )
                  log fmt("%.6f Can't install default pcap filter
(cmdline override?)", network_time());
         }
----

which sort of indicates to me that somehow the lexical analysis code is
incomplete, and 'log' is not being identified as a keyword.

Any ideas?

--
Jim Mellander
Incident Response Manager

Your fortune for today is:

"I've seen, I SAY, I've seen better heads on a mug of beer"
		-- Senator Claghorn