[Bro] Problem: Bro listening on two ethernet interfaces

Aashish Sharma aashish at uiuc.edu
Thu May 19 14:20:35 PDT 2005

> Look for AckAboveHole and ContentGap notices.  These can both happen for
> other reasons, but primarily happen due to dropped packets.

I looked in previous logs and found no alerts what so ever for AckAboveHole and ContentGap to realize that brolite had notice_ignore for them.

# Remove these notices from logging since they can be too noisy.
redef notice_action_filters += {
        [[ContentGap, AckAboveHole]] = notice_ignore,
};

Which I changed to file_notice.
        [[ContentGap, AckAboveHole]] = file_notice,

So. in last 1h15m I have 165065 ContentGap and 36596 AckAboveHole notices. Is this normal (noisy?) or is this the traffic getting dropped ?

And by getting dropped - do we mean that bro is not processing this traffic ?

2) Also Can I put it this way :

Of all traffic we get on interfaces we filter a part using bro filter (packetdrop notices) and then there are dropped packets (AckAboveHole and ContentGap notices)  and then rest of the traffic is processed by bro ?

> I'm not sure what you mean by "because of bro filter", but those reports
Here, I meant is since we have applied bro-filter, all these packet drops could be accounted for. (they are dropped by the bro-filter)

Thanks a lot for all the help. We have been constantly tuning bro and results are great.

Aashish