[Bro] Problem: Bro listening on two ethernet interfaces

Jose M. Gonzalez chema at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon May 23 11:49:44 PDT 2005

Christoph,

The C-program you mention opens several interfaces and select()'s its
descriptors. A per-packet call to select() can be too expensive in
high-volume environments. Moreover, it's not clear select() is the
cheapest way to attend several descriptors. If you want to play with
this, Kohler's click FromDevice element permits selecting between
select(), poll(), and FreeBSD's kevent() (though the latter may be buggy
when used with BPF devices).

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/click/

FYI, Bro tries to limit the calls to select() to just those instants
when all the sources are dry (or every often; check IOSource.cc and
PktSrc.cc, where all the pcap stuff is located). Also, Bro orders
packets received from different sources by their timestamp (the
C-program is biased to processing packets from the first interface).

BTW, you can't compare this program with Bro. The former just dumps
packets to a file. Bro is a stateful intrusion detection system.

-Chema