[Bro] detect Ack flooding attack

bchen at cs.ucf.edu bchen at cs.ucf.edu
Mon May 23 19:52:52 PDT 2005

Hi Vern,
    I have an interesting finding about the problem I met. It was the backdoor
analyzer that prevented those ack flooding packets from logging. If I load the
backdoor.bro into mt.bro and run bro to read tcpdump file (command line: ./bro
-r 2000.dump mt), those ack flooding entries are missing in conn.log and
weird.log. If I unload the backdoor.bro from mt.bro and run bro, those ack
flooding packets are logged in conn.log and weird.log. The interesting
thing is
these ack flooding packets are sent by a backdoor program (Mstream DDOS
tool). I
don't understand why the backdoor analyzer blocks the logging of these
packets.
   By the way, the latest version just released looks much slower than previous
version in my machine (Linux).

Bing