[Bro] Seeking hardware/OS recommendations

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Apr 7 17:35:33 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 16:52 -0600, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

> Whatever floats your boat is my general opinion. I worked for Red Hat
> for many years so have a bias towards it.. but I know that the Bro
> code seems optimized for FreeBSD.

Bro itself is not really optimized for FreeBSD. Much of its
development happened to take place on FreeBSD but there's hardly any
BSD-specific in it.

Still, in our experience the capture performance of FreeBSD is much
better than that of Linux, at least w/o further Linux kernel patches
(which sometimes show other problems, e.g., not working correctly
with non-blocking the pcap calls used by Bro).

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 666-2886 * robin at icir.org
ICIR/ICSI    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 *   www.icir.org