[Bro] can't get the http analyzer to print anything

Jaideep Chandrashekar jaideep.chandrashekar at intel.com
Wed Aug 2 18:47:36 PDT 2006

Vern,
   Thanks for the quick turn-around.

Unfortunately, your suggestion doesn't seem to fix it!
% bro -r trace_incl-http.pcap http-request
   also creates an empty http.log file (so also using http-reply)

[your mail clarified things somewhat] I see a
  print http_log fmt(... connection...)
    in http-request.bro
which should log the request in http.log

However, i still don't see http-request events being generated in the
(generated with -t) trace file. Also, here's a transcript of running in
the debugger (the "new connection created" is printed in Sessions.cc,
when the HTTP_Conn constructor is called).

// -----
% bro -d -r trace_incl-http.pcap http-request
Policy file debugging ON.
In bro_init() at /local/bro/policy/pcap.bro:99
99              update_default_pcap_filter();
(Bro [0]) break http_request
Setting breakpoint on http_request:
Breakpoint 1 set at http_request
at /local/bro/policy/http-request.bro:60
(Bro [1]) continue
Continuing.
new connection created
new connection created
%
// ----- [end]----
No http_request events triggered.

Any leads as to what I can try?

Also, could you tell me exactly how "events" are called in the source
code (a pointer to an instance where this is done would be great). I'm a
little hazy about how the arguments are passed to the event handler. Is
there an implicit mechanism to pass args?
My confusion stems from   http_request being defined as taking 4 args
(http-rw.bif.func_def: run_time("http_request() takes exactly 4
argument(s)")), but I don't see the explicit call anywhere.

cheers,

-jc