[Bro] any experience on BRO into hardware

scott campbell scampbell at lbl.gov
Wed Dec 13 10:58:57 PST 2006

There have been a number of efforts along these lines, but most of them
have focused less on taking the entire bro entity (or more likely the
event engine side) and punting it all into hardware.

In no particular order, you may want to look at:

http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/hotsec06.pdf

also Nick Weaver at ICIR may have some insight.

There has been significantly more work done on taking the bpf burden off
a host and running that in hardware.  There are several different
companies that have products for this, but one that I have personal
experience with is the Force 10 P10 device.  There is also a 1 gig
version as well.

In general I suspect that there is less to gain by running the entire
application on ASIC - there is still a considerable burden associated
with memory bandwidth and state maintenance.  On the other hand if a
more knowledgeable person on this list has a different opinion, I would
be happy to recant.

Hopefully this is a little helpful?

thanks,

scott