[Bro] bro segfaults on startup

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Tue Jan 10 10:42:34 PST 2006

> Which packet filter do you mean?

I meant the libpcap.  But:

> Scott Campbell mentioned it may be a problem with the resolver library,
> as others have had similar problems in the past.

this is clearly the problem, given the traceback that terminates inside
the resolver library:

> (gdb) run -i eth0 mt http ftp scan
> Starting program: /opt/bro-1.0/bin/bro -i eth0 mt http ftp scan

> 0x0000000000561ef5 in __ns_initparse ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0000000000561ef5 in __ns_initparse ()
> Cannot access memory at address 0xffd2a510

This may be a longshot, but in the past folks have worked around resolver
problems on Linux but linking to /usr/lib/libresolv.a directly.  Worth
giving a try.

FWIW, we run without problems on Red Hat 2.4.21.  But we're not running
64-bit native, which it looks like you are.  (Our glibc is a slightly older,
but I don't imagine that matters.)

Scott, do you recall any other fixes?

		Vern