[Bro] Problems Building Bro

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Sun Jun 11 06:51:12 PDT 2006

Hi Dominic,

On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:29 +0100, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> I can't build Bro on my Linux box.
>
> [dom at tility bro-1.1]$ uname -a
> Linux tility.canterburysoftware.com 2.4.22-10mdk #1 Thu Sep 18 12:30:58
> CEST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>
> Trying to build bro-1.1 I get this:
>
> checking for library containing inet_aton... none required
> checking for tgetnum in -ltermcap... no
> checking for termcap in /usr/lib{64}/termcap/... no
> configure: error: libtermcap not found in default paths nor
> /usr/lib{64}/termcap.

well, do you have it installed, and if so, where? We're currently
checking for just -ltermcap and then specifically add /usr/lib/termcap
and /usr/lib64/termcap, if appropriate.

I'm getting annoyed with this termcap stuff. Its location is apparently
quite diverse, so it'd be nice if they either provided an m4 macro to
the autoconf guys, or at least shipped a termcap-config or the
pkg-config equivalent. If anyone on this list has pointers to reliable
termcap configure checks, please point them out.

> Trying to build bro-0.9a11 I get this
>
> checking for long long... yes
> checking size of long long... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
> (long long), 77

That's odd, it means that AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long) fails. I can't make
an immediate suggestion for fixing this.

> I get different problems on my NetBSD box.

Configure with --disable-broccoli for now. If you need Broccoli, go to
aux/broccoli after the Bro build and configure and build it separately.
Try --disable-posix-semaphores. If that doesn't help, feel free to email
me. I'll throw out all of the semaphores stuff once I have time for
Broccoli again, because it doesn't help instrumentation in enough
situations to warrant the build headaches it's been causing.

Cheers,
Christian.